Get Me the Ice...

What, are you some kind of retard?

Monday, November 14, 2005

Rumours


In my warped reality, I actually think that I am missing from this picture. Its fall and that means time to listen to Rumours. I've been listening to it non stop. I could write something inspired about each one of the songs on this record but I won't. I don't want to over do it after being away from blogging for so long.

I will say that "You Make Lovin' Fun" is probably my most favorite song EVER. I've always thought this song is kind of like me. It starts out in a minor key with sort of ominous feeling. You're really not sure what you're getting into, it sounds cool but you're nervous. As you listen you realize that its not that bad--pretty awesome in fact. Then you get to the chorus and its full of bright harmonies, soaring voclas, and lush wonderful keyboards. All you gotta do is get to know the song and you'll see how great it is.

I heard the original version of "Silver Springs" on KBCO yesterday when I was filling up on gas. As you may or may not know, this song was originally supposed to be included on Rumours but was cut at the last minute because of limitations on the number of songs that could be on vynil records. It ended up being the B side to Lindsey's "Go Your Own Way" and I think Stevie was pretty pissed about that for many years. As for me, I have always liked that song, but I always felt like the live version from "The Dance" was more emotionally powerful. I still think that, but yesterday I really listened and I got a feel for how great the the original version song actually is. Sometimes it seems like you almost get a more rich listening experience out of old songs when you hear them on the radio. I think they were engineered when more people had lower quality speakers so you hear more things that might blend together more on a new stereo. Anyway, I could hear the harmonies more clearly and the piano and guitar parts sounded much better together. I get a chill every single time I hear that song.

~ I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you
You'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loved you.... ~



How true her words were....


In other news, Lenny and I are throwing a birthday open house for Matt. I'm pretty excited about it. We're going to have a crowd in my little apartment I think but it should be fine. Chuck is flying in which means it will be that much more drunken.

That's about it for now. I know there's more, but I haven't been keeping in touch with my free flowing blogging style lately. I promise I'll be better here shortly.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home