Get Me the Ice...

What, are you some kind of retard?

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Good PennMann-ship


Tonight I had dinner with my most excellent friend Matt at Chili's in Westminster. While I was scarfing down chips and salsa I heard, to my very pleasant surprise, "No Myth" by the talented Michael Penn followed by "Going Through the Motions" by the lovely and talented Aimee Mann. I couldn't help but think this must be the work of a Chili's music programmer with as good of taste in music and a streak for mischief like I have. My burger tasted so much better.

Speaking of music, I think my ear for music has really improved lately. On the way home tonight, I was listening to Patti Scialfa for the first time in a few months and totally pulled this harmony out of my ass on "Stand Up." I have no idea if it really sounded good or if I'm one of those people that thinks they sound great but really sound worse than a cat having sex in an alley. I'm guessing I'm not that bad because I wrote a song last night! It really came out of nowhere...I was just noodling around and found some chords and got an idea. There are no words, but the music is there. Its just me and my little Casio keyboard, but the song has a great feel. Its kind of a happy rolling rock song in the style of "You Make Loving Fun" (the clavinet + wah on that song has always been one of my main reasons for living) or "Angel" by Fleetwood Mac crossed with the bridge from the song "Some Dreams Come True" with a twist of the middle part of "Waiting for You" by the Bangles. I can hear the harmonies and the clavinet each time I play it. Now I just need a band and a Rhodes piano and I'll be all set.

In other news, I spent last night with L.S. so I'm tired today. The answer to your question is yes, but mostly because the kid snores like a broken down piece of machinery and has a bed that is about as comfortable as laying on warm Jello.

Anyway....

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home